As an employer or business owner, you’ll want the very best staff equipped to handle areas of the business they have been employed and skilled in. But you’ll also want employees that are motivated and ready to solve challenges that may come their way with confidence and determination. The question is where exactly do you find such hard working and affordable staff? Answer: Via Apprenticeship schemes!
Apprentices on TV…
BBC’s Young Apprentice is an example of how young individuals can shine and showcase business skills when given the opportunity. Here a group of young individuals aged between 16 and 17 undertake a series of business-themed tasks, and the eventual winner of the series goes on to receive a sum of £25,000 from Lord Sugar to help them get their future business ventures off the ground. The challenges they face help them develop skills for the future and also indicate what they are capable of and the type of skills they already possess.
Apprentices working for your business…
Apprenticeships could be just what your business needs and here’s 10 reasons why you should hire an apprentice!
1. Get funded! By taking on an apprentice aged 16-24 you can gain £1,500 in funding. See if you’re eligible here
2. Companies that employ apprentices lower their recruitment costs because training staff is more cost-effective than hiring experienced and skilled staff.
3. Training apprentices produces workers with skills that are not available on the external jobs market, allowing your business to shape your workers into precisely the right people for the job.
4. Filling in the gaps! They can fill your skills gaps and you can invest in vital skills needed to make your business go further.
5. Apprentices can provide a business with fresh and innovative solutions to business challenges within the sector which is vital to help a business remain competitive and relevant in its market.
6. Do your bit for the economy! Taking on a young person and training them up will help to tackle youth unemployment and they can provide a boost for your own business during the economic downturn.
7. Apprentices are generally keen to get stuck in, prove themselves and learn as much as possible which can bring a fresh boost to your company and provide renowned motivation to your workforce.
8. Investing time and money in the apprentices will allow them to feel motivated, valued and grateful to join a skilled team. This then increases their likelihood to remain with your company to fulfil their long-term prospects.
9. Apprenticeship training could increase interest in training amongst your employees.
10. A good Apprenticeship scheme could be reflected in an enhanced reputation for the business both within the industry and in the local community.
- 77% of employers believe Apprenticeships make them more competitive
- 76% say that Apprenticeships provide higher overall productivity
- 80% feel that Apprenticeships reduce staff turnover
- 83% of employers rely on their Apprenticeships programme to provide the skilled workers that they need for the future
- Two-thirds of respondents believe that their Apprenticeship programme helps them fill vacancies more quickly, whilst
- 88% believe that Apprenticeships lead to a more motivated and satisfied workforce
- 59% report that training apprentices is more cost-effective than hiring skilled staff, with 59% believing that Apprenticeships lead to lower overall training costs and 53% feeling that they reduce recruitment costs
- In terms of the return on investment linked to Apprenticeships, 41% say that their apprentices make a valuable contribution to the business during their training period, while a further third (33%) report that apprentices add value within their first few weeks (or even from Day One)
- 57% report a high proportion of their apprentices going on to management positions within the company
- Over three-quarters of respondents expect apprenticeships to play a bigger part in their recruitment policy in the future.
(Source: National Apprenticeship Service)
For more information about the benefits of Apprenticeships to your company visit County Training here
Image credit: ©StockFreeImages.com